Monday, May 21, 2012

Harvest Monday: More Squash and a Few Tomatoes

So we've been eating a lot of squash, needless to say. It is only two of us, so we have plenty to eat. Now there is no excuse, hungry? Eat a squash zucchini. : |

 This is how we've been preparing it, but this is going to get old fast. I need to look up some recipes for squash casserole and other ways of preparing it.
2 more!
 
Measurements for the ones above:  
 

Another 2!
  Measurements for the ones above:


Tomatoes
So we took a little long grabbing these tomatoes and the birds gladly ate them. Ughhh.... we are going to have to buy some netting or find a way to protect our tomato plants. The birds took almost all the ripe tomatoes.

More tomato pictures:


 

Want to see other harvest from around the world? 
































6 comments:

  1. I like to pick summer squash when they are really tiny and slice them raw in a salad. If they are getting huge and seedy, cut them lengthwise and scrape out the seeds, scrape out some of the squash meat and mix with whatever meat, veg, spice sounds good, maybe add some cheese and bread crumbs and bake until done. I try not to let them get that big tho and sometimes I just toss them to the chickens at that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Mary. I will try this. :)

      As you can tell, we have no idea what were doing. I didn't know you could pick them when they are small! I am used to buying them big from the super market so I thought the bigger the better. lol

      Delete
  2. They grow so big so quickly...........but there are so many was to cook with them,
    I sliced mine up with peppers and onions and pickled them, great cold with salads and with cheese in a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, thanks for the ideas. :)

      Yes, they grow so quickly that I haven't been able to pick any in a smaller size. Before I know it, they are already big.

      Delete
  3. That is a lot of squash for two people to eat. I've yet to be outdone by squash, but just because the borers take it down when I start getting tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Daphne, we should have done our research. We planted way too many squash plants. Hopefully I'll find some friends and relatives willing to take some of the excess off our hands. I did see one borer flying around the squash about a month ago (it was red and blue and ugly), hope we don't get any more!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love reading them all. :)